Medical Appraisal & Revalidation
With an increased focus on patient safety and proactive prevention of risk to patients, all NHS organisations have a statutory requirement to have a named Responsible Officer in place who must ensure that systems of local clinical governance, quality assurance and appraisal are sufficiently robust to facilitate Revalidation. For doctors it means providing supporting information on an annual basis that shows that they are up to date and fit to practice.
SMART Medical Appraisal and Revalidation Solution is part of the Medical Workforce Management suite of product offerings that supports the recent statutory changes to the way that doctors are regulated. The system meets the ‘collects the data required for a strengthened medical appraisal as laid out by the GMC (‘Good Medical Practice Framework for Appraisal and Revalidation’ and ‘Supporting Information for Appraisal and Revalidation’) the RST (‘Medical Appraisal Guide’) and the Royal Colleges (‘Guidance from the Medical Royal Colleges and Faculties’). The information is stored online where it is easily accessible by appraisers and the Responsible Officer throughout each Revalidation cycle.
Medical Appraisal & Revalidation provides alerts, enabling Responsible Officers to identify and support doctors who are not meeting the requirements of revalidation in a confidential and effective manner.
The Medical Appraisal and Revalidation Solution can be implemented as a standalone module or it can be fully integrated with other SMART products such as Time & Attendance, Doctor Rostering and Consultant Job Planning.
- Remove traditional paper based process of appraisal
- Empower robust and transparent systems for local clinical governance and quality assurance
- Provide visibility of appraisal history and engagement
- Escalate processes for doctors not on track to revalidate
The SMART Medical Appraisal and Revalidation Solution:
- Define and standardise specialty specific supporting information for annual appraisal.
- Centralise all appraisals, appraisal history and supporting information.
- Filter and view appraisal and revalidation status for all consultants and SAS doctors in the Trust using a red/amber/green (RAG) rating
- Access and view a 5-year revalidation snap-shot of doctor’s supporting information portfolio
- Select an appraiser and appraisal date in the system
- Complete an appraisal questionnaire
- Add confidential notes to their appraisal record
- Save supporting information to the evidence tracker (scanning, uploading, linking, PDF etc)
- Accurate collection of appraisal output data for NHSLA, GMC and RST
- Medical appraisals are held centrally in one system allowing the Responsible Officer access to appraisal history and supporting information
- Five year supporting evidence portfolio snapshot allowing users to see any gaps in the GMC Good Medical Practice domains
- Alerts Responsible Officers in real time of potential problems with non-engagers or doctors not on track to revalidate